6 Things You Should Do After A Car Accident In KenyaMotor Insurance-
We may say that car accident is not in our hands but driving safely may help out avoiding such circumstances. If unintentionally you have been caught up in a car accident, taking right step can help the situation not to turn into a worse one and help you pay out for an insurance claim without a hitch.
An accident can leave even the most seasoned driver frazzled, but following right steps may help protect you from unnecessary worries. Here are the steps you must follow after an accident:
1. Do not move or run off after any car mishap:
Whether it is a minor mishap or a serious car accident, never leave the scene. Failing to do so is an offense under the Road Traffic Act. Make sure your car’s engine is switched off and then turn your hazard lights on to alert other road users to your presence.
Take a look around to check if all the passengers along with you in the vehicle are safe or not. Get medical attention if anyone is injured. In case of death, immediately inform the police.
2. Call the police:
The second major step is to inform the police of the incident. Even if there are no serious injuries, it is legally required to call the cops.
Secondly, if there’s significant property damage, physical injury, or death, you need to call the police and an ambulance if necessary as soon as possible. Obtain the name and badge numbers of cops at the scene. The responding officers will fill out an accident report and document the scene. The reason behind is that you will need a police report to file a claim with your insurance company.
3. Exchange the information:
Collect the basic information about the third party involved in the accident. Try to get the names, contact numbers, addresses, drivers’ license numbers, license plate numbers etc.
Typically, if the investigating officers arrive at the scene on time, they collect the information. In case, the cops are not responding then it becomes your need to gather all the basic information. Also, record an info about the make, model, and color of the car. If there are witnesses, you should get information from them as well as you may require to contact them in future.
4. Document the incident:
You should keep an accurate record of whatever happened at the time of the accident. Typically the information which you should pen down is:
- Get the name and badge number of all responding officers.
- Get a copy. Ask the police officers present where you can obtain a copy of the accident report.
- Take pictures. You should take pictures of your vehicle from different angles, show the damage done to both cars. It might also be a good idea to take pictures of the other car’s license plate. If you have visible injuries, you should photograph them as well.
- Take down names. Write down the names and addresses of all parties involved, including any passengers in the other vehicle.
- Talk to witnesses. If there were any witnesses to the accident, take down their names and their contact information, as well.
- To help keep all of this documentation in order, you can keep this accident information page in your vehicle.
- Make sure that you inform the police about what exactly happened in the incident. Do not speculate, guess or mis state any of the facts. You should also make sure statements made by other persons involved in the accident are accurate as well.
5. Contact Your Insurer
It is important to promptly inform your insurance company about the accident. Tell them about the whole incident and explain the facts and the extent of your injuries.
You can also call your insurance agent while at the scene. That way, they can tell you exactly what they will need to in order to process your claim and you can get your vehicle repaired as smoothly and as quickly as possible. If you also pay extra or have comprehensive coverage for your car, you will also get coverage for your medical expenses.
Also Read – Tech Adoption Augurs Well For Business In Kenya
6. Settlement of Your Insurance Claim:
When you consult your insurer, they may offer you an amount less than the claim amount you should be processed with. Confirm them about all kind of expenses like medical bills, repairing and maintenance costs etc. Be sure that you do not compensate for an amount less than that.
Also, before signing any settlement claim, it is important that you have received legal advice before providing such a statement. An attorney can help you maximize your recovery if you’re injured or better defend yourself if you’re at fault. Many accident attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. So, consulting an experienced attorney can help you protect your rights and wisely act in a stressed situation for a right car insurance cover kenya and make wisest decision.